Scott Pruitt resigned as EPA chief Thursday after White House Chief of Staff John Kelly delivered a message from the president that it was time for the scandal-plagued administrator to leave, according to two people familiar with the situation.Now read about 44 Obama Era EPA Scandals the Media Ignored
Pruitt didn’t want to leave his post and was described as being devastated that he had to resign, said the people, who asked not to be named discussing a personnel matter.
President Donald Trump wanted Pruitt to leave, after revelations that the administrator’s public schedule had been altered to shield some meetings from public view, they said. Doctored schedules -- which could be a criminal violation of the Federal Records Act -- were effectively the final straw after a tenure marred by alleged ethical missteps. The administration knew that more damaging reports would emerge soon, one of the people said.
Trump ultimately announced Pruitt’s departure on Twitter at 3:37 p.m. Thursday, saying the EPA chief had done an “outstanding job.” Later, Trump said Pruitt chose to resign because he felt he was a distraction. “It was very much up to him,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One. “We’ve been talking about it for a little while.”
- EPA Charged with Lethal Experiments on Hundreds of Unsuspecting Subjects 11/13/2012 Forbes
- The EPA illegally used social media to push for new EPA regulations 06/28/2017 Judicial Watch
- A subpoena was issued after McCarthy deleted nearly 6,000 text messages 03/26/2015 The Washington Times
- Articles of impeachment were introduced against McCarthy after she was caught repeatedly lying to Congress 09/09/2015 Rep. Paul Gosar
- The EPA inspector general said McCarthy was lying when she said Michigan deserved blame for the Flint crisis 10/20/2016 The Washington Post
- After the Colo. mine disaster, the EPA covered up incriminating evidence to shield its agents from prosecution 08/15/2017 The Daily Signal
- The EPA knew risk of a "blowout" before the Colorado mine disaster, and then later covered up this evidence 08/22/2015 NBC News
- The EPA allowed a known, convicted child molester to remain on the payroll for years, putting him in a position to interact with the public. 05/18/2016 American Greatness
- McCarthy was accused of permitting a workplace hostile to women, including letting workers download porn (even child porn) 04/30/2015 The House Oversight Committee
- Gina McCarthy spent $630,000 on international travel from 2013-2016 . . .