Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hot and Humid Again at the Beach

The temperature and humidity are starting to creep up again here.  The predicted highs are in the 90s (we're there), but at 9 AM it was only 80ish.  The sky was clear and the wind hardly a breath.  Tomorrow is supposed to hotter and more humid, but with storms and relief on Friday
I beat Joel there by a few minutes, and took the time to watch some fishermen on the end of the jetty fail to catch anything...
And one of the eagles did low, slow pass.
Red was happy to arrive, and celebrated with a dip, and polished it off by eating a well ripened bluefish lying on the beach, something even the eagles and gulls had abandoned.
The eagles and ospreys were still, but mostly at a distance, so I won't dwell on them today, but there were a couple of Great Blue Heron who we disturbed by walking through their fishing zones.

It seems to me that butterflies are getting scarcer, and the ones I see are often well used, with ragged wings.  However, today I got decent shots at the Variegated Fritillary in the kudzu vine.

It's funny, I've seen this butterfly frequently since I first identified them in July this year, but I don't remember (and more to the point have any pictures) of them from last year.  Could it be an exceptional year for them, or was last year a bust?
One of the old reliables at this point, the Spicebush Swallowtail puddling on the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment