Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tuesday's Beach Report

Another outrageously nice (note: I'm not complaining) day in Slower Maryland. Temperature in the high 70's, blue sky, northern breeze, no humidity. Word has it that we'll get more humidity later this week. Darn.
The Osprey and Eagle show was in full swing today. Osprey were all over the place, and there were multiple eagles, including adults and more than one juvenile.
As we were getting ready to leave we saw a classic encounter between the two. For at least a minute, an adult eagle chased, flew above and attacked an Osprey burdened by a fish.  Once pressed close to the water, the Osprey dropped the fish (I saw the splash), and made its escape while the Eagle picked up the fish.  The Osprey went down the beach and resumed fishing.
The "butterfly bush." I wish I knew what it was. There are a few scattered up and down the beach, up at the start of the dunes, but I'll be darned if I can find a matching plant. But they're sure attractive to butterflies and other insects.
It wasn't quite a productive as yesterday, but the Monarchs must be migrating by on their way south, I've seen several recently, including this one.














And a Buckeye.

No comments:

Post a Comment