Thursday, May 3, 2018

Fish Visit Baltimore, Die

Mystery Surrounds Fish Kill in Baltimore Harbor
Few of those enjoying the nice weather at Fort McHenry today noticed the dead fish washing up along the sea wall.
They'll notice in a few more days.
"I am concerned about it. Of course, when I'm up on the sidewalk, I couldn't even see it," said Susan Tjornehoj of Federal Hill, "Yes, I am concerned about it. I live right here."

Maryland's Department of the Environment now reports an estimated 30,000 herring, a species called the Atlantic Menhaden, have died and are washing up along the Patapsco River and Back River, yet researchers have not yet pinpointed a cause.
Plenty of possibilities. We had a big rain recently. Did it wash in a toxin off the streets or an industrial site? Disease from all the sewage? Cold snap a while back (the fish may not die right away)?
We're told they have collected tissue samples from distressed fish and are still awaiting results of those tests, while ruling out low oxygen levels in the water or algae build up that normally would point to pollution as the culprit.

At a time when the Chesapeake Bay has shown renewed signs of life, the fish kill has raised concerns here.

"I've been working on building the oyster scene, so we can replace the oysters to clean up this area," said Tjornehoj, "I've been really, really excited about that and so that's why I think, since they say it's about a disease that's very believable to me."
It's bewildering to my how the state and feds continue to coddle Baltimore's pollution problem while attempting to blame the Chesapeake's woes on anybody else, agriculture, rural septic systems, or Conowingo dam.

1 comment: