The fact that Georgia Democrats are now so desperate to be seen opposing boycotts of the state’s economy is the best evidence that they never really believed their own overheated rhetoric in the first place, and are now in a panic at what happens when you tell lies so big, they escape your control and take on a life of their own. We have seen before where that leads. It is comforting to see that they now recognize that they have gone too far. Georgia voters should ask what else these people are lying to them about.
One sad lesson to be taken from this episode is that it’s another manifestation of both the extent and the consequence of the political, economic and social polarization in Georgia and nationally. The truth is, a $100 million blow to Metro Atlanta’s economy was a small price for the legislation’s rural sponsors to pay to satisfy Republican voters who still believe their own party’s officials stole the presidential election from President Donald Trump and handed it to Biden.
Arguably, it’s no price at all. State Sen. Max Burns, who chairs the Senate Ethics Committee that produced the final version of S.B. 202 and is listed as its No. 1 sponsor, hails from Sylvania, Ga., which is more than 200 miles from Truist Park. It’s doubtful he or his constituents will suffer economically because the All-Star Game will now be played in Denver — at least not immediately.
United Airlines Announces Commitment to Make 50 Percent of Pilot Trainees Women or Racial Minorities"Our flight deck should reflect the diverse group of people on board our planes every day,” it reads. "That’s why we plan for 50% of the 5,000 pilots we train in the next decade to be women or people of color.”Now do the NBA or the NFL or MLB.
- Train staffers on voter registration related to early, absentee and in-person voting.
- Inform residents about how to obtain a valid form of identification for absentee voting.
- Place QR codes with links to voter registration and absentee voting information on official mailings, like water bills.
- Develop public service announcements that adequately articulate the new voting deadlines, timelines and requirements.
The suit, filed in November, alleged that at least 21,000 deceased individuals were still on voter rolls during the 2020 presidential election. Data compiled by the Watchdog group alleged that more than 9,200 of the people registered had been dead for at least five years, in addition to nearly 1,990 that had been dead for 10 years. An estimated 197 voters were dead for at least twenty years. The Pennsylvania Department of State did not agree in the settlement with the number of dead voters.
At PJ Media's Insanity Wrap #183 Stephen Green (VodkaPundit) has A Not-So-Crazy Guide to Election Reform
Our ideal election system would look like this:
Did we miss anything?
- No early voting, period. But run Election Day(s) from Saturday through Tuesday — a four-day-long national holiday. Make it a huge nationwide party. We’re the people who invented this stuff; we should celebrate it better.
- Voter ID required, and kind of like a driver’s license, voters must re-register every four years.
- No voting by anyone under 18 in any election at any level in any locale.
- No electronic voting. No exceptions.
- No ballot harvesting. No exceptions.
- No mailing out ballots. One exception (see next item).
- Need must be shown to get an absentee ballot. Legitimate needs would include sickness or infirmity, military deployment, travel.
From Mike LeChance at LI, Man Held for Capitol Riot Alleges He Was Beaten by Jail Guards "“was severely beaten by correctional officers, [is now] blind in one eye, has a skull fracture and detached retina”"
For weeks, Capitol riot defendants being held in Washington have complained that they are locked in their cells with virtually no human contact for 23 hours a day. But a startling, graphic account offered publicly in court on Tuesday by one such inmate, Ronald Sandlin, went further: alleging that guards have subjected those charged in the Jan. 6 events to violence, threats and verbal harassment.
“Myself and others involved in the Jan. 6 incident are scared for their lives, not from each other but from correctional officers,” Sandlin said during a bail hearing conducted by video before U.S. District Court Judge Dabney Friedrich. “I don’t understand how this is remotely acceptable,” he added, saying he was being subjected to “mental torture.”
In an unusual direct plea to the judge, Sandlin said another Capitol riot defendant, Ryan Samsel, “was severely beaten by correctional officers, [is now] blind in one eye, has a skull fracture and detached retina.”
Wa Free Bee, Nation of Islam Calls Supporter Who Assaulted U.S. Capitol ‘Brother With Such Great Potential’ "Organization vows to find motive for attack, including mind control" At least somebody is looking for a motive, goodness knows the media won't do it. And anyway, Who Cares if a Nation of Islam Racist Killed a White Cop? "Social media and the Democrats are suddenly struck colorblind."
Linked at Pirate's Cove in the weekly Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup and linkfest. The Wombat has Rule 5 Sunday: Selina Kyle & Catwoman and FMJRA 2.0: Love Removal Machine ready on time and under budget.