Tuesday, December 3, 2013

In Which Stacy McCain Hurts My Feelings...

...but only a little:

Slaves of the Progressive Cause
Liberals are stupid. We know this. Samuel Johnson knew this, too:
“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”
If you’re smart, you can figure out how to get paid to write. If you’re stupid, you’ll be a liberal journalism intern like Charles Davis:
I was 21 years old when I took out my earring, combed my hair, and tried concealing my distaste for power and Washington, DC, in order to ask questions at press conferences. It was the summer of 2006, and I had just left college to work for a small, do-gooding nonprofit that covered Capitol Hill for public radio. . . .
It seems to me like Stacy is telling me I'm stupid for doing this blog for free.  Well, maybe I am.   Sure, I got the little Amazon widget on the right, but honestly, I'm not sure it works.  Somebody please buy something expensive on it so I can see if they drop a penny or two on me.

As a scientist, I got paid for writing for 30 years or so, even though the means of payment was often extremely indirectly related to the writing. One of the nice things about retiring from science, at least mostly, is that I no longer feel obligated to write boring proposals, boring progress reports, and boring scientific papers to bring home the bacon.  Hopefully there's enough bacon in the bank.

But, at this point I'm still doing the blog for the fun of it.

And regarding Charles Davis problems?  Yeah, I think unpaid internships are immoral.  They should be required to pay minimum wage or do without interns.

No comments:

Post a Comment