Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Can a Mermaid Save the Bay?


Like many other young girls, third-year College student Hales Parcells dreamed of becoming the Little Mermaid when she grew up. At the University, Parcells found a way to turn this dream into reality while teaching others about the conservation of the Chesapeake Bay.

“Being away from the ocean, I realized how much I cared about that part of my life,” Parcells said. “I always liked mermaids — maybe it’s a Virginia Beach thing. I always thought it was a normal thing.”

She purchased her first mermaid tail through an online retailer.
And yes, in answer to the question you did not ask, you can find Mermaid tails at Amazon.

“I wanted to devote my life to studying [conservation] and being a mermaid is a creative way to do that,” Parcells said. “Even though in Charlottesville we are three hours from water, the litter we have here still matters.”

Parcells was confronted with the opportunity to combine her love of mermaids and acting with her interest in the environment when children’s author Daniel Ford, stumbled across a Facebook photo of her wearing the mermaid tail.

Parcells and Ford teamed up to read to children in Charlottesville and Virginia Beach schools and teach them about conservation. The performance showcases Parcells in mermaid costume presenting a 45-minute reading of Ford’s book.
Ugh, 45 minutes of propaganda, no thanks.  But sure, I would pose for a picture in her arms.  Oh that's right, I already did (see right).
An Environmental Science major, Parcells practices conservation in her daily life and enjoys acting as a mermaid to spread the message to others. Parcells hopes to expand her influence in the Charlottesville community by working at birthday parties and public events.

“[I] hope to do more to promote conservation,” Parcells said. “I would love this to be a career, but I think it [will have to] be a side job. [I] don’t plan on giving it up anytime soon.”
You can find her Facebook page "The Marlin and the Mermaid Save the Bay", and her Ideastations site Mermaid Hales Teaches Children How to "Help Save the Bay" at the links.

Wombat-socho is back on track this week at The Other McCain with "Rule 5 Sunday: Take It Like A Man."

No comments:

Post a Comment