Sunday, March 16, 2014

The Osprey is Back

What a difference a day makes.  Pushing 70 yesterday, and sunny, going down from 40 today, with heavy clouds and an unpleasant north wind. It was a brisk walk, which didn't do well for fossil hunting, with a total of seven shark's teeth. I confess Georgia beat me 4:3.
St. Patrick's Day is considered the traditional day for the return of Ospreys from their winter break in the south. I heard on the Intertubes that they had returned to Edgewater yesterday, and today when we arrived at the beach, this one was sitting on the channel marker for the harbor, looking like he was regretting listening to his/her instincts to return.  When I took the photo, I wasn't sure it was an Osprey yet because it was dim, and I couldn't make out the colors on the head.
Buffleheads are still here. I wonder what they think of the Ospreys.  Clearly, the eagles eat ducks, but I think the Ospreys don't pay much attention to them.
I ignored the "Danger" sign, and walked out onto the jetty a ways trying to get a better shot of the Osprey.  He/she got resentful of my attention, and took off, and I was lucky enough to get this shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment