Saturday, October 24, 2015

New Maryland Record Snakehead?

Maryland Man Sets State Record for Biggest Snakehead Caught
An Upper Marlboro man has set a record in Maryland after catching a 17-pound northern snakehead fish.

Michael Meade caught the fish with a bow and arrow in the marshes of Mattawoman Creek on Oct. 16. Meade says he weighed the fish on a bathroom scale when he got home and discovered it was over 17 pounds.

“It was about 10:30 at night when I brought it onboard, and it was the biggest snakehead I had ever seen,” Meade told the Maryland Department of Natural Resources. “When I got home, I stepped on a bathroom scale with the fish, and it was over 17 pounds. So, I put it in a bucket of ice water and went looking for a certified scale.”

The next day, he took it to the Gray Brothers Market Store in Marbury where he had its weight confirmed by a certified scale.

According to the DNR, the 17.49-pounder set a state sport fish record. . .
However, my snakehead fishing buddy Capt. Mike Starrett claims to have caught two larger in Maryland waters, 17.5 and 18.3 lbs on hook and line, which were "released by accident."

No comments:

Post a Comment