Saturday, November 2, 2013

Finding Some Backbone at the Beach

Our first day in November at the beach, having skipped yesterday to errands and lousy weather.  Today is a fine Indian Native American Summer day, with partly cloudy skies, mid 60s temperatures, and all but no wind.  It could stay like this all year if it wanted.
Looking south towards the Gas Docks; more clouds, which dissipated a little later.  The dune grass is more brown than green now.
Do you see the eagle?  Me neither, though I know one is in that photo; it flew away a few seconds after I took it. You can see where we are in Fall colors now, anywhere from still green through crimson.
There he/she is, sitting in Tulip Poplar overlooking the cliff.
It was also a good low tide, and lots of material was exposed on the beach.  We found 30 shark's teeth; but no great ones.  I did find this complete Bat Ray mouth plate, a bit small but in good shape; they're fragile and you mostly find pieces; or as I call them "leavemrites" (leave them right threre).

I also found this fist sized whale vertebrae, with some processes coming off one end.  The processes are a bit broken and worn, but the rest of it is in good shape.  When I found it, all but a half inch of the end without the processes was buried; I thought it might be a piece of wood.

More colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment