Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pics From the Garden

I took a little stroll around the garden this afternoon, with an eye to some of the wildlife.  As often happens, we have a frog or two hanging out in the pond.  If I read this right, it's probably a Northern Green Frog (Lithobates clamitans melanota), from the ridges and the raised ear drum.
A little baby Five Lined Skink (Plestiodon fasciatus) ventured out on the driveway.
 Now here is an odd one.  I found this moth hanging around with the butterflies in the Phlox.  I'm sure it's another sphinx moth, and probably the Nessus Sphinx Moth (Amphion floridensis), but I've sent the picture to butterfliesandmoths.org to be sure.

UPDATE:  Yep, I was right.  And that was quick; I'm impressed.
And another one for the "butterfly life list".  This is (according to butterfliesandmoths.org, who already answered my query on this one, a Red Banded Hairstreak (Calycopis cecrops).  It's pretty strikingly marked, but it's awfully small and easy to overlook.

No comments:

Post a Comment