Friday, July 5, 2013

Life's a Beach

I really have to congratulate the people who set off the fireworks displays last night, and the people who helped them clean up.  There were very few traces left of the masses of fireworks, and usual garbage that people leave behind.  If anything, it was cleaner than usual.
It was a pretty nice morning at the beach again.  Temperatures are soaring into the 90s now in the afternoon, but in the morning, a decent west breeze, and an occasional cloud kept the temperature down.  The Osprey on the left dived into the water about 25 yds out once.  But very un-Osprey like, he came up empty.  Unfortunately, the camera was off to save battery power, and I couldn't record it.
We left Skye behind today, and walked farther than usual, up past Matoaka Cottages, and up where the beach and cliffs are "wild."  We found masses of Wineberries there, perfectly ripe.
I stopped twice to pick a few, and filled my hand in a few seconds.  They're not as good as Black Berries or Raspberries, but they're good enough pick and make a desert out of.  They're considered an invasive pest, so I can say I was doing my good deed for the day.



 The now obligatory butterfly.  A male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail puddling in the wet sand.
Georgia stopped to give fossil hunting advice to this newcomer who was camping at the cottages.
A grandfather and grandson fishing.  At least the grandfather is fishing.  I hear they caught a couple of croakers.
Another fossil hunter.
I got lucky, and found my best shark's tooth of the year so far, this Mako Shark's tooth.  Georgia still has me beat with a nicer one, but I'm trying to claw my way back into first place.
It was a really good day for sunbathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment