Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rule 5 Saturday - Drew Barrymore - Why Not?

Because it feels kind of like pedophilia, but then I realized she's older than my married son, so here goes...

Damn that makes me feel old.  I remember when she was the little sister in ET (1982) and it just doesn't seem that long ago.

Drew is, of course, the daughter of actor John Drew Barrymore, and Jaid Barrymore and grand daughter of the original Hollywood film star of the family, John Sydney Barrymore , and began her own acting career at 11 months, when she starred in a dog food commercial, and the dog bit her.  She laughed and got the job.  She seems to have been smiling ever since.



Drew was born in my hometown, Culver City, Calif. I was born in Santa Monica but grew up in Culver City, to the extent I grew up at all.  I remember the old MGM studio well, with huge paintings that became the sky in "Oklahoma!" I doubt she went to the local public schools, though.

Drew went through a rebellious, drug crazed period after her child stardom commenced, but seems to have survived and prospered thereafter.

After her early rebellious period came her second, sexual rebellious period.
I really love my body and the way it is right now. There's something very awkward about women and their breasts because men look at them so much. When they're huge, you become very self-conscious. Your back hurts. You find that whatever you wear, you look heavy in. It's uncomfortable. I've learned something, though, about breasts through my years of pondering and pontificating, and that is: Men love them, and I love that.
A little bonus Rule 5 for both boys and girls, Drew's Father, John Barrymore with another great, Greta Garbo, in "Grand Hotel", 1932.





Well, that's enough chatter, more pictures below the fold






















Ooops, wrong Barrymore; this is Jaid, her Mom; hot genes, huh?

Ted is featuring Linda Carter (aka Wonder Woman) in his Weekend Women series. Maggie at Maggie's Notebook has cow girls (and a few cowboys).  Thanks to William Teach for linking me up at Pirate's Cove in this week's "Sorta Blogless Sunday Pinup." And thanks to the indefatigable Socho-Wombat for including this in this weeks massive Rule 5 post over at The Other McCain.

2 comments:

  1. Check your bios. The John Barrymore pictured with Garbo is her grandfather, one of the great stars of the 30s.

    Her father is John Drew Barrymore, who started out as a leading man, but became a pretty good character actor in the late 50s and 60s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected. I didn't read the bio carefully, and the two John's got me confused. I thought it might have been a May-December sort of thing.

      Delete