Friday, June 14, 2013

Another New Butterfly

A new butterfly today, at least to me.  I went out in the garden this afternoon and found this little Dun Skipper (Euphyes vestris) visiting the Sage plant. While I'm not absolutely sure of the identification, it fits awfully well and it will do until the experts at  BAM.org get back to me.  They did confirm the Zabulon Skipper that I found the other day.



Skippers, members of the family Hesperiidae, are common small butterflies, often orange, but in a variety of colors and patterns.  Accurate identifications can be quite difficult, because many species are superficially quite similar, and there are great number of them.  The list of butterflies of Calvert County I  downloaded from BAM.org shows 43 species, by far the most of any other group.
I just had to throw this one in. Dragonflies are cool.




A lily from the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment