Sunday, September 12, 2021

Beach Report 9/12/21

Georgia excused herself today so Skye and I drove down to the beach. Another fine day, in the mid 70s, mostly sunny, and a west wind that didn't touch the beach much.
Donna Jean brings in a haul of crabs.
The first tooth of the day, a smallish Snaggletooth, in not the best of condition.
The GBH was hanging out on the posing post today.
This male Eastern Tiger Swallowtail was trying to extract a sip or two of mineral laden water out to the fossiliferous cliff.
The best tooth of the day, a huge lower Snaggletooth, sadly with a broken tip. All in all, an OK fossil day, 13 shark's teeth, a drum tooth, a stingray "diamond" and a crab claw, even after Skye committed the ultimate crime and jerked my arm while I had the tooth jar open, causing me to drop it in the surf. I know I lost at least one drum tooth.
Today's mystery object. It's conical, rough, hard and stony, with cracks the way teeth often have them. I'll submit it to the experts and see if anyone has an idea.
The west end of an east bound F-18 Super Hornet that roared over fairly low.


3 comments:

  1. Took my family to Matoaka yesterday afternoon, thought maybe I’d see you guys on your walk. Naturally I didn’t bring my rod and rockfish had bait pinned right up to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Took my family to Matoaka yesterday afternoon, thought maybe I’d see you guys on your walk. Naturally I didn’t bring my rod and rockfish had bait pinned right up to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was up there a little earlier than usual, because I had something to do in the afternoon.

    I met a guy on Calvert Beach, just below Matoaka who swore he was spooled by a giant red. Could be. Might have been a skate too.

    ReplyDelete