Monday, August 5, 2013

More Birds and Butterflies at the Beach

Yet another absolutely astonishing weather day for Southern Maryland.  A good north wind bringing in temperatures in the low to mid 70's, low humidity, and blue skies, with just a few white puffy clouds.  It just ain't natural, I tell you.
 A few of the usual suspects were out at the beach.  The Bald Eagles were out fishing.
I caught this eagle in mid-stoop. I didn't see whether or not it caught a fish.  The Ospreys are  amazingly successful, but the eagle, only so so.  May
A hummingbird stopped by the Trumpet Vine for a sip of nectar.  It's almost certainly a Ruby-Throated Hummingbird, that being the only species that's here in any numbers, but being female, it's hard to tell.
When she saw I was observing, she sat on an old vine, and gave me the one over before  moving off.
Georgia, looking in vain for the elusive shark's tooth.  I found the only one today, one so small it verged on microscopic.
Not a new butterfly, but one uncommon enough to repeat (Even I am getting bored with Eastern Swallowtails). A pretty decent specimen of the Red Spotted Purple puddling on the beach,  or at least trying; I was pretty persistent. 

Now, an actual new butterfly (at least to me), the American Snout (Libytheana carinenta).  Although I didn't get a chance to see it's wings open, there's little doubt of the ID.

No comments:

Post a Comment