Thursday, May 24, 2012

Spouting Bull Gets Loin Cloth All Wadded Up

Ann Althouse schools Fauxcahontas' (Elizabeth Warren) over claim that Scott Brown has "attacked her family":
But... if you sought career advancement by making a claim that was not factually grounded, then it is relevant as you seek political office. It goes to your character, your honesty, your fairness. Now, it might nevertheless be something of an answer to the question to say: You know, I now realize that I didn't have an absolutely sound basis to believe what I believed, but I did genuinely believe it. And I know that I did expose this belief in a way that could have attracted benefits, and I did come to regret it. I've forgiven myself, and I ask you to forgive me, because my mistake was a daughter's belief in what her mother told her was true, a granddaughter's belief in her grandmother's knowledge and honor.

If she came that far, and Scott Brown were to respond: Your mother and your grandmother were either liars or fools — that would be an attack on her family.

That hasn't happened, and who can imagine it would? Thus, the inappropriate attack here is on Scott Brown, because he has not attacked her family.
And from Alhouse's comments:
Scott Brown's obvious reply:

"If my mother told me that my great-grandmother's grandmother was black I would believe her. I would be proud of my ancestors for being open-minded enough to enter into an interracial marriage at a time when interracial couples were widely persecuted.

But I certainly wouldn't claim that made ME an African-American -- and I damned well wouldn't accept special benefits for it, like Ms. Warren did. To do so is an insult to the people for whom those benefits were intended."

Meanwhile, George Will finally weighed in on what he calls the "kerfluffle":
How absurd? Warren says that for almost a decade she listed herself in the AALS directory as a Native American because she hoped to "meet others like me." This well-educated, highly paid, much-honored (she was a consumer protection adviser to President Obama) member of America's upper 1 percent went looking for people "who are like I am" among Native Americans?

This makes perfect sense to a liberal subscriber to the central superstition of the diversity industry, which is the premise of identity politics: Personhood is distilled not to the content of character but only to race, ethnicity, gender or sexual preference.
Nothing really new here, but he says it so nicely in his inimitable voice...

Me, I'll just stick to mockery, with this video I'm stealing from Ted.  From Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.
4. "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules. You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity."

5. "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon. It is almost impossible to counteract ridicule. Also it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage."

6. "A good tactic is one your people enjoy."


No comments:

Post a Comment