Monday, January 7, 2013

On the Way Home From the Beach

... I saw this hawk sitting in a tree close to the road.  I parked and got out with the camera, hoping it would stay put while I took a few shots.










It did better than that; it flew from that tree to the ground and let me approach with a few yards, then flew back up into a nearby tree, and dove back down to the ground, where it seemed to be picking on something that I never did identify.





As before, I'm still not entirely clear which hawk this is but I'm still strongly leaning toward Cooper Hawk (compared to the Sharp Shinned Hawk) based on its size and eye position.

UPDATE: The official word from Tyler is in and I was barking up a totally wrong tree.  It's a Red Shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus).  I guess I should stick to identifying fossils.

No comments:

Post a Comment