Thursday, November 14, 2013

Your Morning Obamacare Schadenfreude

In an appearance on Special Report on Tuesday, Fox News Channel contributor and Daily Beast editorial writer Kirsten Powers lashed out at the White House – and, by extension, her Democratic cohorts – for implying that her consumer choices were poorly informed and insufficiently focused on the collective good.

“My blood pressure goes up every time they say that they’re protecting us from substandard health insurance plans,” Powers told Bret Baier. “There is nothing to support what they’re saying.”

“I have talked to about how I’m losing my health insurance,” she continued. “If I want to keep the same health insurance, it’s going to cost twice as much. There’s nothing substandard about my plan.”

“All of the things they say that are not in my plan are in my plan,” Powers lamented. “All of the things they have listed — there’s no explanation for doubling my premiums other than the fact that it’s subsidizing other people. They need to be honest about that.”
The good stuff starts about 1 minute in:



Not to be outdone by another girl, David Frum also complained publicly about how Obamacare was impacting his health plan:
“I’m pulling rank,” Frum informed his fellow panel guests, “because I’m one of those who has had his plan canceled.”

“I still have, but will not very much longer have, a plan in the District of Columbia, covered my wife and my children, which is canceled,” he reported. “I can buy on the exchange a plan that will cost $200 a month more and have a higher deductible. I can’t get back my old plan unless, as Ron [Brownstein] says, the administration drops the element of the law that requires the coverage of everybody.”

“That’s why my coverage went up is because every insurer must now cover everybody,” Frum continued. “I think President Clinton should have the honesty to defend that.”
President Clinton? Is he still living in the past?
Frum has spent the better part of the last two years arguing in print for ways which would make the ACA more palatable to Republicans because, in his estimation, the law as it was written was going to be an intractable feature of modern life.

While he appears less frustrated by the philosophical notion that people like himself should subsidize the care of others in a broader, government-administered health care system, he is not above expressing his frustration over the fact that he’s being asked to pay for it.

It turns out that media personalities, like virtually anyone else, bristles at being lectured to on the shortsightedness of their consumer choices by those who perceive themselves to be their intellectual superiors.
 I think I'm gonna get a lot of use out of this one:



No comments:

Post a Comment