Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Murphy's Butterflies

Not much of note happening here, just lots of cleaning up details. I did find that Dad has a Butterfly Bush that is attracting a few butterflies, and got some pictures:

The first is a West Coast Lady, a species hard to tell from the familiar Painted Ladies and American Ladies found all over the US, but instead endemic to the West.

The key feature is the three or four blue spots surrounded by black rings in the back of the hind wing, which are reassonably clear in this photo.
A little orange skipper of some sort. If I saw it at home I'd call it a Sachem and be done with it, but they aren't supposed to occur here. This one is the male, I think . . .

. . . and this is the female, at least from the behavior. I'll have to submit these pictures to BOMA for ID after we get home,
I'm going to guess this one is a Funereal Duskywing, darkly appropriatein the circumstances. Again I'll send the photo off to BOMA for confirmation.
And a run of the mill Common Buckeye, almost translucent in the sun. I've seen a few more butterflies from a distance, but, alas, no photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment