Sunday, November 16, 2014

Drained!


I gave blood again today. Last time I tried, I was "deferred" due to insufficient iron in the blood. After a month or so of steak and iron pills, I got my hemoglobin back up to 14.4 g/dl (why medical measurements use deciliters as a unit is a topic for another post; I would use 144 mg/ml or 144 g/l if it were me), compared to the low 12s I was at last time I tried. 12.5 is the minimum to donate.

I went into Prince Frederick, where one of the churches, that was hosting a blood drive in the basement. The  process went about as fast as possible, no notable waiting times, and a relatively painless stick and draw. My phlebotomist was even moderately tolerant of my attempts at humor.

The best part is I have orders not to do anything strenuous for the rest of the day. Perfect for watching football!

I know the American Red Cross is controversial, but regardless, the blood goes to good use. If you want to avoid the Red Cross, there are other ways of donating; but you'll probably have to look harder to find them. If you can give blood, you should.

Wombat-socho has the grand "Rule 5 Sunday: Wax Ecstatic" up and running at The Other McCain.

No comments:

Post a Comment