Wednesday, April 1, 2020

Here There Be Quicksand!


Skye and I walked down to the beach and met Georgia there. It's cool (50 F) and windy today. As we went to cross the area in front of Calvert Beach where the little creek comes out, both of us (and Skye) all sank to our knees. The sand bar had built up and formed a pool behind it perched well above the water level in the Bay, the perfect set up for quicksand. It took me a minute or so to extricate myself and I was afraid I was going to lose a boot or two. Skye floundered a little but got out fine. Georgia had to sit down to get out. I've seen quicksand before, many times, but never sunk in this deep before.

We beat a hasty retreat back down the beach, and home, to get out out of our wet, sandy clothes. No sharks teeth were found.

No comments:

Post a Comment