Saturday, February 4, 2012

First Fishing Trip of 2012

I had the stickers for the registration and the boat fishing license to put on the boat, and I decided to take the boat out for a spin and a quick fishing trip while the weather was still tolerable.  Since the morning the clouds had thickened, and the wind build up.  I got down to my fishing hole just fine though.




The wind was coming out of the north, about 10 mph.  That's about my limit for happy fishing at the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant outflow, because the north wind builds up obnoxious standing waves in the current.



I was jigging in the deeper part of the out flow, using a Bass Kandy Delight on a 3/4 ounce lead head jig.  While fishing (rather "keeping") season for Striped Bass  is not yet open, catch and release fishing is open in the Bay this time of year. Keeping season starts April 16th.




In four drifts I caught this one Striped Bass about 22 inches long and probably 6-7 lbs.   The wind picked up at that point, and I had a choppy and chilly ride home facing into the wind and waves.

Not a hot day fishing. But a good early start to fishing season

1 comment:

  1. ahh..looks like a good and a hard job there.it definately seems to be a good catch in midst of natures counter cooperation..now this is what one calls a real victory..

    ReplyDelete