Friday, April 12, 2013

A New Butterfly

I slipped out the front door trying to get a picture of a Rufous Sided Towhee that had been outside, but it left...  I walked around the house, and caught a glimpse of this little butterfly landing in the a hemlock tree in back:


It was only about the size of a fingernail, and I haven't seen one like it before.  It might be some kind of Blue (You'd think they'd be blue, but not all of them are), or a Copper, but I can't find a picture that comes close yet.  The closest so far is "Henry's Elfin", (Callophrys henrici) which would be a fitting name.

However, I did send this picture of it off to be identified at Butterflies and Moths.org.  Hopefully the picture will be good enough, and someone can identify it.  If they do, I'll post the identification.

No comments:

Post a Comment