Sunday, April 1, 2012

Maggie Banned in the 'Stan

Yesterday I was notified that this blog, Maggie’s Notebook, is banned in Afghanistan on the computers soldiers use for “recreation.” As anyone reading here knows, I am an unwaivering supporter of our Troops. I have been very critical of Military leadership, from the perspective of a citizen sitting out here in the ether. I have been critical of Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta for baldly telling Congress he and the President will deploy U.S. Troops when they choose to do so, without Congressional oversight. I have criticized the Military handling of Nidal Hassan, the Ft. Hood shooter, and I, along with many others, am dismayed at our leader’s refusals to acknowledge Islamic jihad. I have told Sgt. Gary Stein’s story, and the stories of other Military, who say they will refuse to follow an unconstitutional order from the White House. I have recently advocated for bringing the troops home, because they are not allowed to fight a war, and I have been overtly suspicious of Afghan security forces. For this, I assume, I have been banned.
Read the rest.

I've been reading Maggie's Notebook more or less reliably for the past year (ever since I stole her Rule 5 post on dictators wives), and I can't remember her ever attacking any of our troops, or in any way making their lives or jobs more difficult.  She is, however, relentlessly critical of the current political leadership.  It's a sorry day in America if that's enough to get public discourse on a list of material that our otherwise free troops are allowed to access.

1 comment:

  1. For some reas I didn't get the tb on this - just found it. Thanks so much and thanks the supportive words. I have an update coming. It's all very disheartening to me. As you said, it is a "sorry" day.

    ReplyDelete