Monday, March 27, 2023

Whew, That's Over

I told you I had a good excuse.

Today was the day of my colonoscopy. It had been 6 years, thanks in part to COVID, and I'm supposed to be on the 3-5 year plan thanks to a family history of colon cancer (father, mother and younger brother, all treated and survived), and polyps removed in previous exams.

As always, the prep is the worst part, no aspirin or Aleve for 5 days previous, low fiber diet for a week previous, and no solid food on the day prior. The prep was a new one to me, the "Miralax" prep, two huge doses of Miralax, one the night previous, and one at 4 AM, along with a pill laxative. Yuck, even though it's considered to be the easiest one. 

Although the medical practice had announced the end of mask mandates, we still had to mask up. And Georgia was told not to wait in the waiting room, but out in the hall.  The procedure itself was scheduled for 10 AM, with a 9 AM arrival for paperwork, undressing, preliminary health check, and IV insertion.

I was wheeled into the procedure room at 4 minutes to ten, and propofol was administered shortly thereafter, and then I woke up back in the recovery room.

According to the Dr, the prep didn't work as well as she'd hoped, but not badly enough not to go forward. Next time, they'll probably want me to drink the damn magnesium citrate.

Anyhow, the results were about as I expected. Three fresh, but not particularly worrisome polyps excised and sent off to pathology. The usual other observations.

We were out of there by 11 AM, to a nearby fast food joint for some solid food.

I was told to take it easy for the rest of the day, and not make any important decisions, because of the anesthesia, I guess, but other than that, no restrictions. I guess I can make a blog post out of it.

Anyway, if you're in the age group that needs them, or have conditions that need investigation, do it. It's better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment