Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I'd Rather Be Waterboarded

Al-Gore Jazeera Explores Sesame Street Songs As Instruments Of Torture
Songs of War, a recent documentary produced for Arabic news agency Al Jazeera, explores claims that music from Sesame Street as well as heavy metal and rap songs were used in the torture of prisoners in Iraq, Afghanistan and Guantánamo Bay.

After being alerted that some of his educational children’s music was used as a weapon of war, GRAMMY award-winning songwriter Christopher Cerf set out on a mission to learn more about what he believed to be an “inhumane” use of his work. Al Jazeera’s cameras followed as Cerf personally interviewed former soldiers and detainees.

According to the report, prisoners, shackled and held in private cells, were subjected to near-deafening music from Metallica, AC/DC, Marilyn Manson, Drowning Pool, Eminem, Bruce Springsteen and Rage Against The Machine in addition to popular children’s classics from Sesame Street and Barney the purple dinosaur.
I will make one exception for the Sesame Street music, however:




But at least now we know why Elmo wasn't interested in playing dress up with Katy...

1 comment:

  1. Hello! My name is Oliver and When I just wanted
    to say your blog website is awesome! It truly is surprising because
    I use to have a website that almost had an identical website url: http://www.
    blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=1840710415146608121&postID=652386020917301629 mine was only a few characters different.
    In any case, I'm a big admirer of your blog website and if you ever would like a guest post please make sure to email me personally at: pearldrury@fmail.co.uk. I take pleasure in writing!
    Also visit my weblog ... blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete