Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I Have the Right of Access to a Ham Sandwich

Which means, if I have money, and a grocery store or deli has a ham sandwich, they will sell it to me.  If I have less money, I can buy ham and bread and make a ham sandwich, or if I am fortunate enough to live in a rural location where I can raise pigs, I can raise pigs, slaughter them, and make my own ham.

It does not mean that my employer, whether or not said employer has a religious aversion to ham, has the obligation to provide me ham.  If they chose to provide me with a free lunch, and they chose to provide tuna, which I might have a religious objection to (who knows, my faith might still be evolving), they do not have an obligation to provide me a substitute. 

The government absolutely does not have the right to force my employers to provide me with a free ham sandwich, or force their caterer to do so as a cost of doing business.

No comments:

Post a Comment