Thursday, October 25, 2012

China Foils Obama's Foreign Fund Raising

The Chinese government has blocked access to a Web site used as a conduit for donations to President Obama’s re-election, The Post has learned.

The action comes following a report in Sunday’s Post that the Obama.com site had been registered to Robert Roche, an Obama campaign bundler who lives and works in China.

An analysis by the Government Accountability Institute found that Obama.com gets almost half its traffic from foreign computer addresses.
But, you might argue, there's no evidence that Obama's campaign is accepting the money from unverified, or even declared foreign addresses. But there is:
I’ve been able to donate $25 to the Obama campaign in three separate transactions, despite being a lifelong British citizen resident in the UK. What’s more, two of my donations were processed despite the Obama campaign noting that I had provided a non-U.S. address, and despite my failure to provide proof of American citizenship when asked to do so.
...
As a control, I then tried to make a donation to the Romney campaign, entering the same information. This time, I was asked for the three-digit CVV number, and when I clicked “donate” I was immediately informed that the address I had entered did not match the address on file for the card.
Good for the Chinese, but forgive my suspicion that they are beginning to think they may have to deal with a President Romney, and this might be a bit of placation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment