Thursday, October 11, 2012

Butterfly du Jour

I'd almost given up hope of finding any new butterflies since we returned from Italy.  The weather has been cold and rainy and I haven't seen much visiting the few flowers that are left.  However, as I was walking between buildings at work today I saw this one, and hustled back for my camera.

It's pretty clearly an Eastern Comma, (Polygonia comma).

I had a tougher time getting a good shot of the under side of the wings; the butterflies (there were two there) were pretty determined to bask with their wings flat.  They have a mottled underside, much like the Painted Ladies and Buckeyes that I've also photographed.

They were all attracted to fallen Persimmon fruits that were all over the ground.

A Common Buckeye and a Mourning Cloak were also joining the feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment