Thursday, October 6, 2011

Steve Jobs - RIP

You've almost certainly heard by now that Steve Jobs finally succumbed to the pancreatic cancer that had dogged him for quite a while.  I have no special news to offer.

My first personal computer was an Apple II+, purchased in about 1981 to use as a word processor to write my PhD dissertation.  I also wrote programs for the graphics and data analysis for the dissertation.  Only a couple of years earlier, I would have had to have the dissertation typed, done the graphics using a pen and ink, and, perhaps, done the data analysis by hand on a calculator.  In fact, I did all of the above for my Masters thesis.

Since then, I have not been a particularly loyal Apple customer.  I followed the Apple II+ with a IIe, and I was given an IPod for Christmas a few years ago, but since the IIe all my computers have been IBMs and as I have mentioned before, my phones have all been resolutely stupid.

Nevertheless, Steve Jobs was one of "those" people, people who made a great impact on the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment