Monday, March 2, 2020

Safe At Last!

At least if you live or travel to Anne Arundel County: Anne Arundel County foam food container ban takes effect
The law was passed after concerns came up about plastic foam impacting the local environment.

"Well, they say a lot of the recyclable stuff they got now, they're not recycling. It's just piling up. So I guess that's just more stuff piling up. Every time you look around that's all you see," said Robert Wilson, a resident.

The ban includes single-use food-product containers like cups, plates, bowls or other products used for selling or serving food.

"It almost brings a tear to my eye because I really enjoy fishing when I get an opportunity to get out and do it," said Edward Mason, a resident.
I can't honestly say a foamed food or beverage container has ever detracted from my fishing experience.
Many people said the law is the right move to make in order to protect the environment, especially the Chesapeake Bay.

"I'm a fisherman of some type, and I've noticed how things have changed in the bay area over the years that I've been there, so I think it would be a good thing as far as the quality of the bay," Mason said.

The move comes after Annapolis put into effect a similar ban in September 2019. The new law in the county does not ban food or drinks placed in plastic foam containers outside of the county, but if restaurants in Anne Arundel County get caught using plastic foam containers, they could face fines ranging from $50 to $500.
I spend a lot of time walking the beach, and I rarely notice or encounter a foam container.

No comments:

Post a Comment