Saturday, August 11, 2012

More Butterflies at the Beach

We're having a bit of weather front passing today, and as a consequence we had a trace of a shower early, and pretty heavy clouds most of the time, with an occasional peek of the sun.  The good side of that is that temperatures are down in a sensible range of high 70's to low 80's, and bit of steam...



Just when I thought I had my dark butterflies down cold, nature, as usual, threw me a curve.  Almost immediately, I found this one.  Looks like a dark swallowtail, but no tails, and seems too small.  If I can get both a top and bottom view, I'll have a decent chance of identifying it.


OK, got the underside of the wing.  What's with that orange markings up by the head?  Eureka!  It's a Red Spotted Purple Butterfly (Limenitis arthemis astyanax).  Not a swallowtail at all, it's in the brushfoot family of butterflies.  Note the red spots on the wing tips.  Another mimic of the Pipevine Swallowtail (which I haven't seen yet).
Just another view of the same butterfly on a kudzu leaf.

More beach, birds and butterflies below:




A sunbeam falls on some activity at the boat ramp.
 One of the sandpiper types on a rock jetty.
 The Great Blue Heron on the Posing Post give me the hairy eyeball.
 Skye cools off.

Probability of Sea Nettle still 100%.
A Red Admiral Butterfly, Vanessa atalanta.
Rank after rank of dark clouds rolling by.

No comments:

Post a Comment