Here are some of the highlights from the latest batch of trial balloons:Bureaucrats and welfare cheats hurt worst.
- The budget will slash $1.7 trillion in spending on entitlement programs, according to Bloomberg.
- Trump’s budget will include a massive nearly $200 billion cut to the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, the modern version of food stamps, over the next 10 years – what amounts to a 25% reduction, according to The Washington Post.
- The food stamp cuts are part of a broader $274 billion welfare-reform effort, according to a report by The Associated Press.The budget calls for about $800 billion in cuts to Medicaid for fiscal year 2018, WaPo reported.
- The budget also calls for $2.6 billion in border security spending, $1.6 billion of which will be earmarked for Trump’s proposed wall along the U.S.’s southern border.
- The budget is also expected to propose major domestic discretionary spending cuts - an earlier version of the budget called for $54 billion in such cuts next year alone.
Predictably, Democrats are already up in arms over the proposal, even though a formal draft isn’t expected until Tuesday.
I'm not expecting all of this to materialize, but if someone doesn't propose it, it never will. Someday. we'll have to get spending under control, either that or sit back and let the Chinese foreclose.