Sunday, January 2, 2011

Best Wishes to Brian

Brian, a friend, and sometimes reader and commenter who provided the basis of this post, was struck by blood clot in his lung on New Years Eve.  Characteristically, the clot became apparent as he was returning from a duck hunt.  He was rushed to the hospital, diagnosed and treated.  He's back out of the hospital, and resting, I hope.

His description of the onset:

My buddy and I had just got off the water and I was towing the boat up the road when it hit like a knife through my side (behind the lowest point of my left ribcage). I couldn't breathe with out the stabbing. I pulled over and let my buddy drive and I NEVER do that. I avoid hospitals but knew something was seriously wrong and had my buddy take me there duck boat and all. I am very grateful I was driving with someone or I doubt I would have made it. BTW, he did a real good NASCAR job while towing the boat and I feel bad for scaring the hell out of him. I will admit, I was scared shitless and thought I was checking out. I tried to choke out some one liners to keep myself going but came to the realization how much my checking out would hurt my kids and {wife} and I didn't want to win the MOO death pool either so I concentrated on breathing. I remember lamenting how I was going to quit smoking tomorrow but it was intent on killing me today.

and his treatment:

Pulmanry Embolism (blood clot in left lung). Don't know where it came from. Ultrasounded my legs and all was well. ECG, BP, cholesterol all great. Doctor said my lungs sounded great for a smoker and said I am strong as a bull internally. They think the clot may have come from all the kneeling I do when duck hunting or 3 days ago when I sat cross legged for 8 hours on the livingroom floor doing my frame bag inventory. Other than that, they don't know.

For now, I am on lovenox at $500 every 2 days (will need for 3-10 days) and cuomadin for 3, 6 or 12 months. This was and is going to be an expensive weekend without insurance. I'll just pay several hundred dollars or so each month until it's paid off.

BTW, the lovenox shots in the stomach twice a day suck.

 and the ducks?

1 comment: