Monday, October 16, 2023

RIP: Piper Laurie

Another Hollywood Star from the Golden Age departs. Fox, Piper Laurie, three-time Oscar-nominated star of 'Carrie' and 'The Hustler', dies at 91 "The actress died of old age, her manager confirmed to the Associated Press"

Piper Laurie, the three-time Academy Award-nominated actress whose career in Hollywood spanned seven decades, has died. She was 91.

Laurie died of old age on Saturday, her manager Marion Rosenberg confirmed to the Associated Press. In an email to the outlet, Rosenberg described the star as a ""a superb talent and a wonderful human being."

In 1961, Laurie earned her first Oscar nomination for her turn as Paul Newman's alcoholic girlfriend Sarah Packard in the poolhall drama "The Hustler." Laurie and Newman had previously appeared in 1957’s "Until They Sail" but the actress told Fox News Digital in 2022 that they never really interacted until they starred together in "The Hustler."

"That’s when I was really confronted with that beauty, those spectacular eyes," she remembered.

Laurie shared that "it was a great gift to be part of a wonderful film" and she "enjoyed every moment of it."

In her interview with Fox News Digital, Laurie said that she didn't attend the Academy Awards that year since she didn't expect to win. She recalled that she watched the ceremony over dinner with her husband and mother-in-law in New York City.

"I was thrilled I didn’t go," she said. "And of course, I didn’t win. Not with Sophia Loren’s performance. I mean, my goodness, was it even a debate?"

Laurie's next Oscar nomination came in 1976 when she starred as Sissy Spacek's fanatically religious, abusive mother Margaret in the film adaptation of Stephen King's classic horror novel "Carrie."

"I think it was a terrific movie," she told Fox News Digital in 2022. "At first, I didn’t know if it was a comedy or what. I remembered I tried some things during rehearsal, and I was told, ‘Piper, I don’t think you could do that. You’re gonna get a laugh!’"

She continued, "We were all supposed to take this seriously. But I played my role very big and flashy. And I guess in some ways, it still turned out to be funny.
I will say, my daughter’s friends were very young and easily frightened. When they would come to visit, they would not look at me in the face! They would just go straight to her room," Laurie recalled with a laugh. 

 91? That's respectable.

The Wombat has Rule 5 Sunday: Best Wrench Wench And Gun Bunny Too? up at The Other McCain more or less on time.


















No comments:

Post a Comment