Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Beach Report, 9/2/20

Temperatures are back in the low to mid 80's, and so is the humidity. A partially cloudy sky kept the heat down a little
This guy (or gal?) was up at the far end of the tangle. I'm pretty sure it's the same one I saw yesterday. Given the non-black legs, the only description that seems to fit is the "Great White Heron", the white morph of the Great Blue Heron which is supposed to be confined largely to southern Florida. My birding expert agrees, but sent the picture on to other experts to be sure.
It took off when we got a little too close, and ended up back on the "posing post" where I spotted it yesterday. But today, I brought the better camera with the zoom.

Confirmed by "the #1 birder in MD", a Great White Heron.


Georgia and Skye picking their way around the big mass of clay boulders left by the slump earlier this year.
And a pleasant surprise when we got back to the car. Somehow a Red-Banded Hairstreak managed to sneak in while we were loading Skye in. Usually a pretty common butterfly, this is the first one I've seen this year, bringing my total number of butterfly species identified this year to 33. (Last year I found 52, including 4 from Belize)

No comments:

Post a Comment