Sunday, June 21, 2020

Raccoon State Park

As I alluded to on Friday, we took the the weekend to go visit Alex, Kelly, and our grandchildren Graham and Miles in McDonald, PA. In an effort to get outside, we decide to visit Raccoon State Park, to get a walk in the woods.
With a certain amount of confusion, we managed to agree on what appeared to be a reasonable length walk for a 4 1/2 year old, and we set off. Here Kelly and Graham look down the creek which leads to Raccoon Lake. Alex was assigned to take the car to the lake, and catch up with us there.
I found this Silvery Checkerspot (and several more) along the way. A near ringer for the Pearl Crescent, they seem much more common in PA than they are here, although I have seen them here.

Similarly, I once found this Appalachian Brown at the beach here, but it's the only one I've seen until I saw 5 or so on this walk.
 Eventually we reached the lake, only to discover that it was another 3 miles or so to the other side. We managed to shout to Alex across the lake (no cell service), and arranged to go back the way we came.
 Miles didn't care, and he and I had a good time making funny faces and noises as I pushed him and his stroller back to the start. Graham held up surprisingly well, walking all of both ways, although he often poked around showing us neat things he found, and picking a bouquet of wildflowers for Kelly.
 A Cabbage White, the most common butterfly ever.
 A Summer Azure I presume.The little azures are hard to tell apart. But it's summer, and it was an azure, so there you have it.
Graham pointed out this weird abandoned stone building a bit off the path.

A good time was had by all, but next time we'll read the directions more carefully. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment