Sunday, December 2, 2018

Back From Fishin'

Walleye Pete called a couple days ago, said he had a short notice cancellation for today, and asked if I wanted to go. Of course I did. He's been fishing south, near or in the mouth of Potomac River, because that's where the big stripers seem to school up this time of year. Today's weather was odd. A quick warm up to near 60 F over 45 F water causes . . . .  fog:


This was after the fog lifted a little. Originally, visibility was about 100 ft. Thank goodness for radar and chart plotters.

Fishing? We chased around in the fog for about three hours catching very few fish. But eventually a phone call tipped Pete off that the fog was clearing up river a few miles and birds were starting to circle over schools of fish. So we headed up there in a hurry.

Indeed, that's where the fish were (or at least where it was possible to find them) and we caught a fine limit of stripers up to 30 inches. I also jigged up a small White Perch, and a 10 lbish Blue Catfish,  which, over some protestations from Pete, I kept for the table. I'll post a picture of it as soon a Pete sends it to me. I caught both on a 4 oz diamond jig, which also caught stripers, although BKDs and Bass Assassins worked about as well.

Oh, you want to see a striper?




Obviously, not from today, but the size is about right for our biggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment