Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Castles Made of Sand...

Fall into the sea, eventually:

Today is the 1st Anniversary of my retirement from my position at the Smithsonian Institution as a Research Scientist.  People ask me if I miss work.  No, I don't miss getting up a 6 AM 5 mornings a week, I don't miss the hour up and hour back drive on Rt. 4 and,  I don't missing writing proposals to do marginal science for government agencies and industries to pay my salary and those of my technicians. Hopefully, the financial guy is right, and our retirements will outlive us...
It was also the day of the annual Smithsonian picnic, and as a member of the band, I dutifully got up an hour earlier than my usual 8 or, uh, whatever, and met the band for our annual gig at the picnic.  It went off well, all things considered. I messed up the choruses on "Uncle John's Band", just like Bob Weir, but nailed the solo in the bridge, so that was better than break even.
I made it home late, but after dinner, Georgia suggested we walk the beach.  It's downright warm and muggy today.  We're near the peak temperature of summer here.  Another couple of weeks and it should start to cool again.


No comments:

Post a Comment