Monday, December 2, 2013

The Swans are Back at the Beach

It was a pretty mild December morning here in slower Maryland.  By the time we finished our coffee, and Georgia finished cursing out the Sears sales staff all across the country, as well as southern Asia, the light fog had burned off, and it was a mostly sunny day with temperatures in the mid 40s.  I overdressed by wearing my leather jacket and regretted it.
The usual avian suspects were hanging out in the usual places; the Eagles in the tops of the trees over looking the water, the Buffies out a ways, and the seagulls patrolling the shoreline.
It was high tide, but the sand has moved up most places, so it was easy to walk around the narrow spots.  Fossil hunting was mediocre, only 15 smallish teeth.

But the real news was that we saw the first swan (Tundra Swan or Whistling Swan, Cygnus columbianus). Only one, so I suppose the post should have been titled "The Swan is Back at the Beach", but that just didn't seem right.  Besides, I'm confident that if I walked up further I'd find the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment