Thursday, December 5, 2013

Oh Goodness, I'm a Cartoon...

You wear "work from home" outfits to your "leave the house" job. Some people have cushy jobs where they “work” on their laptops from a “mobile location” (i.e., their bed and/or toilet). Unfortunately, you have a job that requires you to leave your house and be seen in public by other humans. Maybe it’s time to dress like you have self-respect, and not like a college freshman in pajamas on his way to steal milk from the dining hall.
Since I no longer have a "leave the house job" ( I retired at the end of June), I no longer dress for work.  But since my job normally revolved around field work and the lab, the jeans and T-shirt I normally wore both weekends and week days sufficed.  However, I will not have as many reasons to wear so called "good" clothes from now on.
Your wardrobe has the versatility of a cartoon character. Cartoon characters wear the same clothes every day, because their animators are lazy. You are not a cartoon character. (Even if your poor sartorial choices deserve their own laugh track.)
Hey, I change my T-shirt daily.  And Georgia restricts the number of days I can wear the the "3 Wolf Moon" one.
Your friends have entered a new, stylish stratosphere. Times have changed. Your friends have evolved from punks to passionate tastemakers. They're independent, intelligent, and innovative. And...they don't want to be seen with you in public. Not until you join them in grown and sexy adult-land (what, did your invitation get lost?).
 Uh, no, they haven't. They're old farts, too. Sexy adult land is far behind.
People during the Great Depression dressed better than you. Ever see those grainy black-and-white photos of bums during the Great Depression? Did you notice that they were dressed better than you are, wearing suits? And those brave people were starving to death in a barren dust bowl. Now take a look at yourself. You're gainfully employed, yet you're wearing an old college T-shirt, eating pad thai, and live-tweeting reruns of a reality show about teenaged mothers. What’s your excuse?
My T-shirts aren't college, and anyway, I don't tweet, yet.  Back in the Great Depression, my dad was running around in China, probably barefoot.  But yeah, I'll bet his shirt had collars.  So what? That was the style back then.  Styles change, just like the climate.
Your shoes are so worn out you might as well be barefoot. You do know that shoes are supposed to protect your feet, right? I don’t care if you just read some book that insisted our feet aren’t made for shoes; do you know what type of garbage touches a city sidewalk? Do you want to contract an entire alphabet’s worth of hepatitis?
I need three pairs of shoes.  One 'decent' pair to wear when we go out shopping, etc, and two pairs of old ones to alternate on beach walks, so one can be worn while the other is drying.  They might get worn during yard work, too.  The beach shoes are often fairly pitiful.
Your phone is your watch. Look, everyone loves a good mobile appendage. But the phone-as-watch thing is a joke. When time is of the essence, you'll never see a suave film protagonist pause dramatically to look upon the cracked face of his smartphone. Phones will never replace watches, so just tuck those dreams away, sport. It’s time for a new look (which you'd know by now if you invested in a proper watch). Seiko has some great wristwatches this season, and bonus!: They're designed to propel you from pauper to progressive in two seconds flat (time it!)
One of the things I did for retirement was retire my watch.  Screw it!  As I sit here, the computer has the time displayed, the DVD player has the time, and the phone in my pocket has the time.  That's plenty.  Curiously, the phlebotomist at my last blood donation noticed I still had a paler, less furry patch on my left wrist and asked if I had taken off my watch.
Of course, you could always keep wearing what you’ve got on now. Maybe fashion will come full-circle in 30 years and people will start wearing soy sauce-stained pajamas again. Stranger things have happened.
That's the plan!

Found at Althouse; who actually seems to care about clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment