Saturday, July 27, 2013

Went Fishing

This is from yesterday.  It was such a lovely afternoon.  75 F or so, light wind, clear skies, a few puffy clouds.  This Double Crested Cormorant was sunning on the piling at the mouth of Flag Harbor when I set off.


 He wasn't much fazed as I motored past.
 I ran down to "Location X" and quickly caught a limit of small rockfish (Striped Bass in Chesapeake).  It helps to know where to go, and not to be afraid to go in shallow water near rocks.
There were a couple of charter boats anchored out in the discharge.  From what I saw, they were catching small fish, Spot, Croakers  or White Perch.  I decided to do the same, but in a different place.
So I ran most of the way home, and stopped in shallowish waters offshore off south Long Beach and set out the bottom rigs with circle hooks  using Fishbites, an artificial bait.  Croaker action was insanely fast; I had trouble keeping up with three poles, and many came up with doubles.  Unfortunately, most were below the 9 inch minimum.  However, a few were larger, and I came home with enough for fish tacos for Georgia and I for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment