Saturday, April 27, 2013

"People Are Idiots"...

...Said Georgia when I showed her this post at Althouse:

UConn's new husky dog logo — insensitive to campus violence against women?
"In an open letter to UC President Susan Herbst, self-described feminist student Carolyn Luby wrote that the redesigned team logo will intimidate women and empower rape culture."
UConn basketball coach Geno Auriemma said the logo “is looking right through you and saying, ‘Do not mess with me.’ This is a streamlined, fighting dog, and I cannot wait for it to be on our uniforms and court.”

In response, Luby wrote, “What terrifies me about the admiration of such traits is that I know what it feels like to have a real life Husky look straight through you and to feel powerless, and to wonder if even the administration cannot ‘mess with them.’ And I know I am not alone.”
The logos in question?

Old logo
New logo

While Georgia may be generalizing just a bit, she has a point.  Some of the comments in the thread at Althouse are precious:
I am so glad we are subsidizing this young woman's education so she can make such grand contributions to society.

Money well spent for sure.
The old Husky looks friendly, but the new Husky looks like a feminist attack bitch.
 Skye resents that one.  Or at least she would if you didn't give her a treat.
Living in flyover country, I keep thinking this has to be satire. Are northeastern females constantly falling to the ground with the vapors? Are there fainting couches conveniently placed on sidewalks, right next to the fire hydrants?

No comments:

Post a Comment