Sunday, January 20, 2013

You Never Know What You'll Find at the Beach

Georgia, Skye and I headed off to the beach this morning about 11 AM.  Despite pretty good winds at home, when we got to beach we found the Bay was nearly still; the wind was all west, and so our side of the shore was well protected.  It was warm, and getting warmer, starting around 50 F and rising to 57 by the end.





"Aw, mom, come on, let me off!"












Georgia and Skye walked as far as the boat ramp and before we found that Skye was too tired to make it around the jetty at Matoaka Cottages.  It's getting harder and harder for her, although she hates to let it show.

We found some male buffies in relatively close, and I got this shot.  This may be the first picture I've ever taken of them where you can see the iridescent feathers on the head (click to enlarge all the pictures).







I found this nicely frosted piece of cobalt blue beach glass.  Blue is about the rarest color we find.  Red and yellow are supposed to be more rare, and they must be because we haven't found any yet.






I found this Snaggletooth Shark's tooth just barely showing in the sand.  This will join the previous tooth on the 'top shelf' for the year.
I found these other beach walkers coming down from the top of the cliff way up past the Cottages.  There is a road to the cliff that comes down from Calvert Beach Road that comes out a set of steps down into the gully they're coming out of.





But this is the real find, and I don't know what it is.  It has a hard, stony looking outside, and a concentrically lined inner core, that has a granular consistency.  I'm hoping that it's a piece of tusk of some kind, perhaps mammoth or walrus.  Another possibility is Manatee bone or an oosic.  I'm afraid I may have to consult an actual professional on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment