Thursday, October 4, 2012

Isla de Capri

Yesterday we caught a ferry from the dock immediately below our hotel, a long drive for 200 ft vertical drop, and set out for the island of pants and sandals, Capri.

Capri is just a stunningly beautiful island. The main town and harbor, Capri, is nestled down between steep, rocky hill, an crawls up into them on the outskirts.

This photo was taken from the second town, Anacapri, located in a higher saddle, about halfway up the 1500 ft climb. A narrow, winding road connects them. I thought I was inured to Italian bus rides after the previous day on the Amalfi road, but this time I winced several times anticipating a mirror from a paying truck coming through the window at me.


We stopped to visit the Church of St. Michael in Anacapri, noted for its fine floor of tiles. I thought the unicorn was appropriate.



After lunch we descended to Capri again, and walked through the streets to the far side, to view the rough side of the island from above.



Capri is without a doubt the girl watching capital of the world as I know it...

From Capri we rode a funicular down to the docks, where we caught a small boat cruise round the island.

The sorta famous Emerald Cove, not to be confused with the more famous Blue Cove, which we could not access due to the high tide.

The Farallons of Capri. Our boat went through that arch.

Thanks to Wombat-Socho for indulging me and linking this (and my other Italy Rule 5 posts) on The Other McCain for the last two weeks.



No comments:

Post a Comment