Sunday, September 2, 2012

Around the Garden

We stopped over at Charlies house on the way home from the beach.  We found this Eastern Box Turtle munching on of his Cantaloupes.
 This flower...
...and this butterfly.  It's some kind of Skipper, but I don't have enough drive to sort through all the different kinds of Skippers:
Many species of skippers look frustratingly alike. For example, some species in the genera Amblyscirtes, Erynnis (duskywings) and Hesperia (branded skippers) cannot currently be distinguished in the field even by experts. The only reliable method of telling them apart involves dissection and microscopic examination of the genitalia, which have characteristic structures that prevent mating except between conspecifics.
When we got home, Georgia found that the storm last night appears to have harvested the majority of the Paw Paws from out tree. I blogged about our Paw Paws last year.


1 comment:

  1. I hope to took the cantaloupe home with you. That turtle has been hanging around quite a bit this summer. I guess that's the reason why. An earlier cantaloupe met the same fate.

    I had hoped the paw paw were from our yard. I think there's a huge crop this summer. I don't care for them although we have friends who come by for them.

    ReplyDelete