Wednesday, June 6, 2012

RIP Ray Bradbury

It's all over the news today that Ray Bradbury, one of the early and greatest sci-fi authors died this morning in Los Angeles at age 91.  Writers tend to like Fahrenheit 45, as the possibility of censorship looms huge in their minds, Others are naming their favorite works of his, Insty has picked Dandelion Wine, for example.  I suppose my favorite was Something Wicked This Way Comes, probably because it had young boys about the age I was then as protagonists.  The Martian Chronicles didn't do that much for me, although I still remember many of the vignettes.

I had a brush with Bradbury; he lived in my neighborhood, Rancho Park in Los Angeles while I was in 6th grade (at least), and his daughter, Ramona, was in my class.  If I recall correctly, we even read one of his short stories in class, somewhat to her embarrassment.

At some point a couple of years later, I met him on the street and we traded pleasantries.

Sorry Ramona; if you pick this up; your dad was a great writer, and my sympathies go out to you and the rest of your family.

And now, what you've all been waiting to see, thanks to Ann Althouse (NSFW language):

No comments:

Post a Comment