Tuesday, March 13, 2012

OK, Now I'm In Favor of Cheap Gas

Energy Secretary Renounces Call For Higher Gas Prices
Under questioning by Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) today, Energy Sec. Steven Chu renounced his previous call for higher gas prices. “Since I walked in the door, as secretary of energy, I’ve been doing everything in our powers to do what we can to reduce these gas prices,” Sec. Chu told the Senate hearing.

Sen. Lee then asked Chu: “Are you saying that you no longer share the view that we need to figure out how to boost gasoline prices in America?”

“I no longer share that view,” Sec. Chu said.

Sen. Lee then followed up: “But, you did then, but you don’t now?”

“When I became secretary of energy, I represented the U.S. government, and I think now in this economic very slow return, these prices could well affect the comeback of our economy and we’re very worried about that,” Chu replied. “So, of course we don’t want the price of gasoline to go up; we want it to go down,” Chu concluded.
And in the perfectly self-serving sense that he want Obama to reelected to save his political power, and to be able to pursue the policies he really believes in (higher gas prices), I'm sure he means it.

1 comment: