Monday, February 6, 2012

Damn You Glen Cook! - A Book Review

I've been following Glen Cooks "Dread Empire" series since I found the first book, "A Shadow of All Night Falling" came out in paperback in about 1980.  It was the first of many books by Cook that I bought since that time.  The characters were numerous, and each possessed of a distinctive personality that developed over the course of the book and indeed, over the life of of the series.  A Swords and Sorcery type, the first book starts with the theft of a potent magical artifact from a mysterious man riding a winged horse.  The plot proceeds from there, spinning a web encompassing most of an alternate reality.

Many years and many books later, and just a couple weeks ago, I found that Glen had published another novel in the series: "A Path to Coldness of Heart" just published in 2012, and available on Kindle at Amazon.  I downloaded it at once, and began reading it daily on my commute.  It promised to be "The Final Chronicle of the Dread Empire" (Vol III).  It truly appears to be; miraculously, it tied all the characters together, and almost, but not quite, killed off the old geezer on the flying horse.  Don't tease me Glen, finish it or don't!  (I'm hoping for don't; he did leave some hints behind of plot development yet to come) 

The Dread Empire Series:

A Shadow of All Night Falling
October's Baby
All Darkness Met
With Fire in His Hand
With Mercy Toward None
Reap the East Wind
An Ill Fate Marshaling
A Path to Coldness of Heart

Oh, well, if the Dread Empire truly dead, at least I can await the next "Instrumentalities of the Night" novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment